Having a large dog can pose a lot of issues when looking for a dog bed. There’s the weight, the nesting, the drool, and much more to consider. You can’t just buy any dog bed out on the market. You need one that will stand up to your dog.
Finding the best dog bed for large dogs doesn’t have to be complicated. We combed through the internet to find the best dog beds for large dogs. This even includes the best dog beds for labs! Let’s dive in and look at my top 5 picks for large dog beds.
In a hurry?
Table of Contents
- #1. PetFusion Ultimate Dog Lounge (best overall)
- #2. BarksBar Orthopedic Foam Large Dog Bed (best value for money)
- #3. Snoozer Luxury Cozy Cave Pet Bed (best for comfort)
- #4. Big Barker 7″ Pillow Top Orthopedic Dog Bed (best headrest)
- #5. Majestic Pet Bagel Dog Bed (best spine support)
- Final Summary
#1. PetFusion Ultimate Dog Lounge (best overall)
Okay, even we want to lay on this bed. Is that normal? That’s how comfortable the PetFusion Ultimate Dog Lounge looks! It’s got bolster’s like your own sofa and even memory foam. We don’t even have memory foam on our mattress. Our large dog love’s this bed for a great night’s sleep and comfort!
When we think of the dog beds we’ve owned, they frustrated us, we couldn’t find one that our dog liked while maintaining visual appeal of my living room or bedroom. Enter the PetFusion Ultimate Dog Lounge. It looks great, your dog will be comfortable, and best of all, you can machine wash the cover. Yay!
What We Liked
Obviously, the PetFusion Ultimate Dog Lounge is our #1 pick. What specifically do we like so much though? There’s a very long list, but we cut it back to the highlights and how they will affect your life and your dogs.
- Comfort – We think you could probably tell by the bolsters and the memory foam this big bed would be comfortable. We love the fact that it’s excellent for older dogs with sore joints. All those years of running, hunting or hiking really catch up to them after a few years.
- Dog Friendly – We would sure hope so with it being a dog bed and all. Though, it is waterproof and tear-proof which makes it actually dog-friendly. There were so many times we wish we would have purchased a waterproof bed when our dog threw up all over his.
- Low Maintenance – It will not be a struggle to take care of this bed. One of my favorite parts of this bed is that it’s machine washable. We all know our favorite pups have some kind of disaster at some point. Now it doesn’t have to be such a big deal to clean up.
- Visual Appeal – We really appreciate that this dog bed is not ugly. When having people over we had to hide the dog bed to make our house look decent? Having a dog bed that fits in with your decor is so refreshing and makes life just a little better.
What We Didn’t Like So Much
There will be a few pitfalls with any item you purchase. Here are the very few of the PetFusion Ultimate Dog Lounge.
- Fabric Retains Fur – We admit this is annoying. You would think they would choose a fabric that wouldn’t cling to dog hair. However, the machine washable factor really helps.
Who Is This Large Dog Bed For?
The PetFusion Ultimate Dog Lounge is for dogs that want some extra cushion and love. Whether they need it for arthritis or you want to treat them to a comfy bed, your dog will give you some extra licks of gratitude. This is our #1 pick for the best dog bed for large dogs.
#2. BarksBar Orthopedic Foam Large Dog Bed (best value for money)
If you are looking for the biggest bang for your buck, this large dog bed is your gal. It’s got style, comfort, and is easy to maintain. That’s all wrapped up in an affordable package so both your wallet and your pooch are happy.
It’s made for larger dogs, but you can put a smaller dog on it. The BarksBar bed is just what it says, an orthopedic dog bed. Its mattress will have you wanting to lie down next to them, and we wouldn’t blame you if you did.
On top of a fabulous base, they quilted the fabric with soft cushiony bolsters to boot. The fabric quality looks nice and won’t stick out like a sore thumb in your home. Finally, it’s at a price you cannot beat.
It’s hard to pick out just a few things we liked, but we’d be here all night if we gave you every little detail. Here are the highlights of our favorite features.
- The Comfort Level – There are three different layers of comfort. It’s got the upholstered cushion, the cotton padding, and then the orthopedic foam. This three-tiered approach provides the maximum amount of comfort while maintaining firm support. This feature really sold us on this bed.
- Low Maintenance – The fabric is machine washable. However, the fabric itself cleans nicely, too. It’s also got a non-skid backing, so it will not slide all over your floor. We like the combination of these features to keep things easy.
- Dog Approved – After doing a lot of research on this bed, a common statement we saw was that dogs chose this bed over anywhere else to sleep. That choice even factored in owner’s beds, sofas, and chairs. We would say that certifies this bed as dog approved.
- Nice Style – When we saw this bed it looked nice. It doesn’t look like those smelly old dog beds that have been lying around for years. The dark gray and light gray combination makes it look modern yet not too loud. It will blend in nicely around your home like it’s part of the furniture.
The Not So Good
There were very few flaws with the BarksBar. It really had a lot of positive customer reviews. However, there were a few things I didn’t like about it. I think you need to know them to make a well-rounded decision.
- Durability – This is something that’s important in a dog bed. It had mixed reviews on if it was durable or not. I will bet it comes down to your dog. On the same note, when you buy a dog bed, you got to assume it’s durable right? I guess that’s why the price is not as high.
- Actual Dimensions – This one seemed to snag many people. The size of the dog bed itself and the size inside the cushions are two separate things. Make sure you pay attention to this because otherwise, you will be disappointed when you pull this bed out of the box.
- Double Stack Frame Issues – While I listed this as a feature I like, it comes with some issues. This puts more pressure points on the fabric and more chances for something to fall apart. That’s the main issue I have with this bed.
Summary Of The BarksBar Orthopedic Dog Bed
It’s for a large dog and you’re on a budget. If you don’t feel like shelling out $200+, this is the perfect dog bed for you and your furry friend. It’s comfortable, it’s modern looking, and it is 100% dog approved. You can really get a lot out of the Barksbar large dog bed and it’s why it’s our number two pick.
#3. Snoozer Luxury Cozy Cave Pet Bed (best for comfort)
Is your dog a nester? Do they like blankets and bury themselves when they sleep? Then the Snoozer Luxury Cozy Cave Pet Bed is the bed for them. It’s got a hood perfect for snuggling in on a cold winter’s night. The cozy Sherpa lining will keep them nice and toasty in the cold months and wicks away heat in the warm months.
The Snoozer has a combination of cedar and polyester fill that will both smell nice and be plenty comfortable for your furry friend. This filling is in a zippered liner, so it’s easy to refill/replace the contents. You can machine wash the outer cover.
With 36 different color combinations and patterns, you are bound to find the perfect design for your home. Its micro-suede cover is both aesthetically pleasing and soft to touch.
- Durability – The rust-proof large brass zipper will make this bed durable. It also has the Sherpa lining, which is a little more dog proof than just a piece of plain fabric. Some fabrics used in other beds are just too thin. It has a zippered liner for the filling area. This makes it harder for your dog to get to the filling and hence a better chance of longevity.
- Nest Style – Our large dog loves to nest. The problem with a larger dog that likes to nest is that there usually isn’t a bed available for them. Most of the nesting dog beds are made for small to medium dogs. Enter the Snoozer Luxury Cozy Cave pet bed. It’s large enough for a big dog breed and you can even size up or down if you need another for a second dog.
- It Has A Hood – It also has a nice sherpa hood that allows them to cuddle in and feel like they have a real nest. Our big dog really likes to be covered with a blanket at night. Is it just me, or is having a large dog kind of like having a toddler? Anyway, the nest-like bed is perfect for a dog like that!
- Design Options – We cannot believe that Snoozer came out with 36 different options for designs and colors on this bed. If you can’t find one you like, you might need to contact a dog designer or something. I also think you have to be picky not to find one you like. I found several!
- Price Tag – Hovering around the $100 mark for a nice large dog bed is difficult, but Snoozer pulled it off. This is for the poly/cedar fill option size large. However, you can upgrade in size and to an orthopedic bed instead. Either way, you are getting one heck of a deal.
There were a few issues we found that several buyers brought up. We don’t think they are huge issues, but they are worth reading over.
- Not Orthopedic Bedding – The model we are reviewing has the cedar and polyester combination filling. You can upgrade to an orthopedic bed, but it will cost you more. However, if your dog isn’t older or doesn’t have joint issues/arthritis, you don’t need it. That’s a judgment call on your end.
- Bigger than Expected – We are not sure how big of a complaint this one really is. A lot of reviewers have stated that this dog bed is larger than expected. We understand that some dogs really want to be in a tight space. If you are concerned about it, order a size down?
- Small Opening – The opening to the “cave” is kind of restricted. Now, this seems to contradict the last issue. Sometimes people are just complaining to complain! The small opening could be an issue if your dog doesn’t want to go in or can’t get in. In that case, you might need to settle for a larger bed and a larger opening.
Who Is The Snoozer Luxury Cozy Cave Dog Bed For?
So what dog is this specific bed for? You probably can guess it, but it’s for the nesting dog! It’s for the dog that needs to be tucked in and curled up in a warm space at night. We have a 140-pound dog that feels this desire and this bed would be perfect for him. The Snoozer Luxury Cozy Cave Pet Bed is perfect for any dog that wants to be cuddled up in a warm cocoon.
#4. Big Barker 7″ Pillow Top Orthopedic Dog Bed (best headrest)
Big Barker is right! This gigantic bed is top of the line. It comes from a company that also makes furniture, so they really know what they are doing. It’s got a beautiful headrest and design that will leave you and your pup exceptionally happy.
It comes in a few different sizes and colors so you can find the right bed for you and your dog. Sometimes, having a big dog can be daunting to find a bed that fits in your home and doesn’t look like you are starting a zoo. The Big Barker Pillow Top Orthopedic Dog Bed accomplishes this with ease.
The comfort on this bed your dog will love. If you have a big dog and have done any research on them at all, you know that their joints are a major issue. You want to make sure they are supported and comfortable so they stay mobile and happy as long as possible. This bed has a whopping 7 inches of pillow top comfort and support.
Finally, this bed will last. So many big dog beds just don’t have the grit to make it through more than a year. The Big Barker pulls through with a 10-year warranty!
What We Liked
There’s a lot to love about this bed. The Big Barker has over 3,500 customer reviews. That’s crazy for a dog bed! Let’s walk through the highlights of this specific bed.
- Head Rest – If your large dog is anything like mine, they would prefer to be on a couch. They would also prefer their head elevated with a pillow. Who do they think they are, anyway? The Big Barker has a nice, comfortable headrest so your dog has the illusion they have their own bed or couch.
- 7 Inches of Orthopedic Comfort – If you have a big dog, you know they insist on comfort. It can be a challenge to get that for them because of their size. The Big Barker really delivers with that 7 inches of orthopedic comfort foam.
- Technology – The open cell technology allows air flow so you will get less stink, and it will also be much cooler if it is warm out. We love the fact that this foam is guaranteed not to flatten out over time either. A lot of the orthopedic beds get compacted, flattened out, or just plain lumpy after a year or two. This one does not.
- Easy To Clean – A machine washable cover is a dog owner’s best friend. Between bones, treats, slobber, and who knows what else, you will want to wash the cover from time to time. We know how much our dog loves it when his bed get washed. Being able to clean the cover gives the bed more longevity.
- 10 Year Warranty – This is almost unheard of in the pet industry. Having a warranty on a dog bed, let alone a large breed dog bed is huge you guys. Within that warranty, it states that they guarantee your money back if your dog bed flattens over 10%. How crazy is that? That means, 5 years in, if your dog’s bed is at 80% of its density, you can get a FULL refund.
What We Didn’t Like So Much
There will always be some negatives to even the best of products. We found a couple here with the Big Barker that you should consider.
- Durability on Cover – Now, it depends on the dog, but there are some complaints that the cover is not as durable as the company would lead you to believe. If you have a scratcher, digger, or dagger clawed dog, consider buying a backup cover or putting something down on top of the bed.
- Price Tag – It’s not cheap. This bed isn’t made to be thrown out in 6 months to a year. You will keep this for up to 10 years! With that comes a more steep price tag. Is it worth it? We think so.
- Gets Wrinkles – It looks like the cover can get wrinkled. This could be an issue if you have a sensitive dog who can’t stand that kind of thing. It can also be an issue if you don’t like the look of the bed with the wrinkles. It’s got to do with the method of washing the cover. Like we said before, worst-case scenario, you throw a blanket or another cover over the top of the bed.
It’s for the dog who wants a headrest and more of a couch or bed feel. This would be an ideal solution for those trying to get your dogs off of the bed or couch. The Big Barker is an excellent choice for your big dog and their luxury needs.
#5. Majestic Pet Bagel Dog Bed (best spine support)
So often our dogs’ spines are neglected. Getting a dog bed that promotes proper spine alignment can be the difference between a grumpy and sore dog and a happy, active dog. The Majestic Pet Bagel Dog Bed is that difference for your dog.
The “bagel shape” is exactly how it sounds. It has a bolster around the entire outside so that no matter where your dog lays down, they can rest their head up higher than the rest of their body, aligning their spine. It’s comfortable, cozy, and ergonomically correct for your large dog, which is scarce.
The machine washable bed makes it easy to keep clean and fresh for you and your dog. Sometimes these beds look great until you realize you can’t wash it without ruining it. The Majestic makes it quick and painless to keep your dog’s bed nice and clean. To top it off, the base is waterproof in case there are any accidents.
We like this bed for several reasons, but there are a few things that really stick out.
- Low Maintenance – The idea that you can just throw the whole bed in the washer. It makes it less stressful and less chance of zippers, seams, etc. breaking or wearing down. The waterproof base is excellent in case there are accidents. They won’t seep onto your nice floors.
- Ergonomic Friendly – Obviously, this is probably the best feature of the bed. The “bagel” shape really allows for your dog’s alignment to be perfect no matter where they lay. They could circle around and reposition 100 times, and you can feel confident they are still in a proper position.
- 7 Style Options – A variety of colors to choose from that are home friendly. There aren’t really any loud or obnoxious designs/colors. Thank goodness. Whoever buys those must live in a retro home or a VW van by the river.
- Price Tag – This is an inexpensive bed. If you were to look at a hardware store or the like, you would find one similarly priced. However, the Majestic Pet Bagel Dog Bed offers so much more. They make those beds to be thrown out after only two months if they even make it that long. The Majestic will last you a lot longer.
The Not So Good
We like this bed a lot, but there are some definite negatives to consider before you buy it.
- Filling – The filling on the bed is not amazing. It’s not that big of an issue with the bolster. However, we think that washing it is what makes the “lumpy” texture the reviewers are complaining about. We like more of a mattress or sofa feel for our dog bed. If that’s not an option, then you will want a high-quality polyfill. The Majestic’s is just okay.
- No Removable Cover – There are upsides to being able to just throw the whole bed in the wash. However, there are some huge drawbacks. For one, we really think it will mess with your filling after several washes. For another reason, it might not be awesome for your washer. Sometimes our washer gets a little wonky if we put too big of a load or object in there. I don’t know about you, but a new washer is a lot more expensive than a new dog bed.
- Longevity – With the drawbacks we mentioned above, it’s no wonder that the longevity of this bed is in question. If you get a lumpy dog bed, it will probably stop getting used. This is especially true if you have a picky dog.
Who Is The Majestic Pet Bagel Dog Bed For?
This Majestic large dog bed is for dogs that require some spine alignment. It’s for the dog that could use more ergonomics in their life. However, head caution to a messier dog or a dog prone to accidents because of the tendency of the filling to bunch up with too much washing.
As you can see, there are a lot of factors that go into finding a dog bed for a large dog breed. After reading this article, hopefully, you could find the right dog bed for you and your dog. Let’s review our top picks based on category.
Best Overall Large Dog Bed
We still have to go with the PetFusion Ultimate Dog Lounge. It’s got comfort, style, and durability. These are all very important when picking a dog bed for a larger breed, and they nailed it. We wouldn’t change my #1 pick, but there are more options if this isn’t yours.
Least Expensive Large Dog Bed
The least expensive option is the Majestic Pet Bagel Dog Bed. It still has comfort and style that you will want for your large dog. It even boasts ergonomics as its #1 feature. All of this comes with an incredible price tag that we’re still surprised by.
Lab Lovers Favorite – Best Dog Bed for Labs
Finding a dog bed for a lab can be hard. They are a larger breed, but they aren’t huge. They also are notorious chewers. So, what’s a lab owner to do about a nice bed? We would go with the Big Barker 7″ Pillow Top Orthopedic dog bed.
It’s got the orthopedic support your lab will want as they age. It also has a machine washable, fairly durable cover for those accidents and incidents that occur. If you ruin a cover, they have a replaceable one available which is nice. We also like the 10-year warranty on this one.
A large dog deserves a great dog bed, too. Just because they aren’t dainty doesn’t mean they don’t need a nice, supportive bed to lie down in at night. Our big dog is proof of that. Lord help us if we don’t cover him with his blanket on his expensive dog bed every night. He will whine until the sun comes up.
Do yourself a favor, buy the right dog bed for your large dog the first time around, and you won’t run into those terrible nights. It will also help save your furniture! You are bound to find the perfect bed for your large dog in our top 5 picks.