Buying an orthopedic dog bed for your canine friend is one of the best decisions you could make for them. Providing correct hip and body support from an early age is more sensible than trying to ease joint problems later in their lives.
Unfortunately, not all claims of being of orthopedic standards are equal.
What we discovered can save you hours of research, hundreds of dollars, and endless frustration at having chosen a bed that just didn’t deliver as expected.
In a hurry?
An orthopedic bed for your dog is important because it gives the ultimate support and comfort. In this article, we review five popular memory foam beds customized to help support your dog’s joints and offer an excellent night’s sleep at the same time.
Just like people, many dogs develop joint pain and deteriorating health conditions such as arthritis as they age. Giving your dog a comfortable, supportive bed is one way to both prevent and help relieve the discomfort showing how much you care for them.
Table of Contents
- #1. Friends Forever Orthopedic Dog Bed Lounge Sofa (best overall)
- #2. Snoozer Cozy Cave Orthopedic Bed (best value for money)
- #3. PetFusion Ultimate Orthopedic Memory Foam Bed (medium firmness)
- #4. BarksBar Snuggly Sleeper Orthopedic Bed (best for budget)
- #5. The Dogs Bed Premium Orthopedic Memory Foam Waterproof Bed (best for pain relief)
- Final Conclusion
#1. Friends Forever Orthopedic Dog Bed Lounge Sofa (best overall)
Our overall winner as the best orthopedic dog bed goes to this Friends Forever model. There are several things to love about this dog bed. Top-level support and comfort, providing a good night’s sleep is number one. The poly-fill bolster is soft and plush, providing a comfortable place for your dog to lay his head. Hips and legs are well supported.
The Distinction Is In The Details
This orthopedic bed delivers exceptional comfort and a solid night’s sleep, so your dog awakens well-rested. It’s also comfortable to lounge around on during the day whenever your dog just wants to hang out.
What Buyers Liked Most
- Level Of Comfort And Support Provided – Compared to competitors, this bed looks to offer better-cushioning support and pain-easing comfort.
- Quality Of Materials Used – The foam used is top-notch. It’s solid, non-aerated memory foam – very similar to the memory foam used on quality mattresses designed for humans.
- Workmanship – It’s a well-built bed. Stitching is top-quality. There are no snags and the seams are not noticeable.
- Portability – Since the bed is lightweight, it’s easy to move from room to room.
What Buyers Didn’t Like
- Cool To The Touch – The cover fabric can get slightly cold, virtually like a cooling pad. But you can counter this with a soft blanket placed on top.
- It Smells When You First Get It – This is to be expected. It’s the chemicals used in the foam and others factory smells that you’re getting. Follow the instructions and air dry it let’s leave it out in the open air for a day or two.
- Cheap Bottom Fabric – Buyers love the micro suede material used on top. But, they have far less affection for the low-grade material used on the bottom. As is often the case, manufacturers cover the parts not visible with a lesser grade of material. The important orthopedic area, which is 3/4 of the bed, is of the highest quality.
Who Is This Bed For?
It seems pricey to some, but the value is obvious and here is our full review of the Friends Forever orthopedic dog bed. It helps dogs with various conditions and health issues like arthritis. They get a comfortable rest and shift around less, which helps their joints. Since they’re comfortable, they sleep for longer periods.
Overall, this is a well constructed orthopedic dog bed that features quality materials. The only drawback is the price. But if you’re a value-conscious shopper, you’ll appreciate the features you’ll get from this bed.
#2. Snoozer Cozy Cave Orthopedic Bed (best value for money)
The Snoozer orthopedic bed provides a den-like experience for dogs that love to burrow or nest. The 5-inch base forms the foundation. But it’s the raised hood that creates a partial enclosure – something that’s sure to satisfy the instinct of dogs who love to burrow.
It’s more firm than cozy because its orthopedic design and its hooded top. Just look at the reviews on Amazon that make this orthopedic bed one of the best.
This is an upgraded version of the original Cozy Cave. It’s the orthopedic version that has a rigid top on top that covers the base and a higher quality of foam stuffing (and more of it) to make it more stable and supportive.
What Buyers Like Most
- Warm Comfort – It’s a bed that is warm and comfortable and supportive. It feels good watching them snooze away in style and comfort.
- Quality Construction – This one is hand-sewn in America. The stitching is tight and of high quality.
- Easy Cleaning – Unzip the cover to wash as needed. Since the zipper securing the outer cover is made of brass, it’s won’t rust.
Things They Didn’t Like
- Plastic Support Tube – The plastic tube that holds the hood open could be stronger.
- Pierced Fabric – The plastic tube can break through the fabric. The manufacturer could solve this problem with a plastic or rubber reinforcement at the corners to prevent the tube from slipping through.
Your Dog’s Vantage Point
From your dog’s perspective, this bed offers several options and you can read our full review of the Snoozer here. They can go hide away from a noisy house full of children. Or they can curl up for comfort and enjoy a deep, peaceful sleep. They can sprawl out and relax when it’s time to chill.
Dogs who love to recognize when things are theirs love this bed. They sleep in it and get away from sleeping on the couch or trying to crawl into bed with Mom and Dad. The thing to remember is that a better night’s sleep for your dog and supporting its joints means a better night’s sleep for everyone.
#3. PetFusion Ultimate Orthopedic Memory Foam Bed (medium firmness)
Here’s another popular orthopedic bed. With 4 sizes available, from small to jumbo (XXL) – there’s one that’s the right fit for most any dog. Two excellent features are the waterproof liner plus the external cover – both are durable and washable. The waterproof liner plays a crucial role in protecting the memory foam while the zippered, exterior cover is what everybody sees and – it looks great. It’s also machine washable and dryable.
What Buyers Like Most
- Cover Strength – The exterior cover holds up well. With heavy-duty zippers, and quality stitching, this bed hold their firmness, keeps it’s shape, and last for years. It’s soft and stylish, feels great to touch, and looks like it will hold up for some time, while still being comfortable.
- 2 Year Warranty – This is one of the few dog beds that has a 2 year warranty.
- Extra Cover – The cover extends the life of the bed and provides a different look. It’s still a handy substitute when washing.
- Washable, Easy Care Cover – The external cover is machine washable and machine dryable. Washing in cold temperature and using the low gentle cycle. Shrinking occurs, but it’s less than half an inch, at most.
- Memory Foam Mattress – The actual base of the bed is 2-6 inch foam depending on what size your looking for. It’s not just a mattress topper. You get a firm cushioning feel that sinks under pressure and gently returns to its shape as your dog gets up off the bed. The high density orthopedic memory foam has a similar rating to the mattresses you find in a high-end mattress store.
- Good For Dogs With Health Problems – This bed provides comfort for injured dogs in recovery, senior dogs, arthritic dogs with joint issues, and those who find it difficult to move around a lot.
What Buyers Didn’t Like
- Material – One buyer thought it could be more of a heavier-duty fabric that would last for at least 5 years.
If bed wetting this is a regular occurrence, you can add an extra layer of protection. After washing the covers, it’s easier to have two people reassemble the bed. It’s somewhat like changing sheets on your bed. While some find it an easy routine task, others struggle. Seems a little easier to have two people do it.
When you get the right size bed, your dog can spread out comfortably. The PetFusion Ultimate Orthopedic Memory Foam model provides cradling support that seems just about right for a sound sleep. Your dog might also look to be a little less stiff after a night on a mattress of this quality.
Give it a test for yourself first. Lie down with your back on the mattress. Is it comfortable for you? If so, your dog will probably think so.
Two and three years later, buyers report the bed still being in good condition on Amazon. This is even after washing the cover several times over this time frame.
Another common sentiment shared among buyers was that they were happy with this bed as it replaced the need to buy several beds. That saves your dog aches and pains and you some cash. Getting this bed puts you in a position where you can’t lose!
#4. BarksBar Snuggly Sleeper Orthopedic Bed (best for budget)
This may be a bed you want to consider if for no other reason than the fact that it’s priced more economically than the others in the market.
With its sleek, luxurious and quilted design – this one will look impressive in any family room. The non-stick rubber backing on the bottom ensures that the bed won’t move around on wooden or tiled floors.
What Buyers Like Most
- Good For Aging Dogs – It’s made to give a comfortable sleep experience with generous support. The interior sleeping space is about 24″ x 36″. It’s a good choice for dogs of any age-related conditions. Those with arthritic problems will find this bed comforting.
- Cleaning Is Easy – The BarksBar bed is easy to clean and maintain with a removable and machine washable cover. When washing, be sure to run it on a delicate cycle and air dry only. You can avoid machine washing by spot cleaning it. It’s easy to wipe down or vacuum off.
- Support And Comfort – It provides human-grade orthopedic memory foam on their dog beds. This provides strong support and joint relief – precisely what a lot of dogs need. Deep cushioning provides pressure relief on the joints and cotton-padded walls can contour to the neck and head for best comfort and support.
Made of polyester, the plush cover is ultra-soft and. And features a luxurious, quilted design that can match or blend with any home interior.
What Some Buyers Didn’t Like
- It’s Not Tear-Proof – They make the bed of good quality, it’s not rip-proof and some dogs have been able to tear holes in it and expose the foam underneath. That’s something nobody wants to happen, and a good way to help prevent this is to throw a small blanket over the top of the bed. It’s durable and roomy enough for many dogs but not all.
- The Rim Flattens Out – The cushioned rim or bolster could be better reinforced, so it doesn’t flatten out as swiftly as it does.
No bed is indestructible, and I would imagine that repeat digging will ultimately tear the fabric on the cover.
For dogs that like to fluff up their beds before they settle down, we recommend using a blanket on top of this bed or any other non-heated bed. That way they’re doing their fluffing and digging on the blanket slightly than the bed itself – so they’re not making direct contact with their nails.
This is a well-made product, and you can read more about it in our full review here. It’s designed in the USA and manufactured in China. The extra thick bottom pad and durable construction means it should last over the long haul. The quality of the fabric is good, as is the quality of the zippers. The BarksBar is a great choice for an orthopedic bed.
#5. The Dogs Bed Premium Orthopedic Memory Foam Waterproof Bed (best for pain relief)
The Dog’s Bed Premium Orthopedic Memory Foam Waterproof bed is most suited to dogs who stretch out when they sleep. While it’s for any age and virtually any size, those who are most likely to appreciate it are dogs with any kind of health condition, with the extra firm support for your dogs joints.
With 6 inches of total foam as its base, this bed provides uniform and balanced support, and it should stand the test of time.
What Buyers Liked Most
- Memory Foam Base – Excellent medical grade orthopedic foam provides therapeutic comfort for older dogs in particular, but any dog including those with arthritis pain, stiff muscles, hip dysplasia, and arthritis. It contours to support the dog and give a sound night’s sleep.
- Machine Washable – Both the inner liner and the outer plush cover can be machine washed on a delicate cycle. You should never wash it at a high-speed or quick wash cycle as it could damage the fabric. You can machine dry on the lowest setting, but we recommend air drying to keep the cover looking like new longer.
- Product Design – Some thought went into the cover dimensions. After washing and drying, the cover continues to be easy to reinstall. The water repellent cover encasing the foam is another bonus.
What Buyers Didn’t Like
- The Cover Could Be Made Stronger – The cover just isn’t entirely as durable as it could be. Sure, it’s soft and plush. But the material might not hold up over the long haul with larger, rougher dogs. One buyer noted that after several washes when held up to the light you could see small holes in the fabric a result of the dog’s nails scrapping up the surface of the bed.
- Pricey Replacement Covers – While covers are available, they are a bit pricey. Instead of requiring regular cover replacements, it would have been better for the manufacturer to supply a more durable outer cover, one that doesn’t need replacing.
- The Top Isn’t Very Soft – The top is not as soft as the tops on other beds. But you could always add a layer of softness with a blanket on top.
The Dog’s Bed Premium Orthopedic Memory Foam Waterproof bed is the bed you want if you are looking for a long-lasting bed. It will be plenty firm and work well with those dogs that have age-related arthritis or just injuries. More on this in our full review here. We like this bed for its ease of use and superior quality mattress.
Why Is Memory Foam Great For Dog Beds?
Memory foam is a must for an orthopedic dog bed. It was first developed back in the 1960s by NASA as they explored options for plane seating. Memory foam has continued to evolve, and today’s products are softer and comfortable. But there are various grades of this type of foam, each providing a different level of comfort and support.
These beds are still an ideal solution for any dog prone to accidents or aging dogs with leaking bladders. With its waterproof insert and machine washable cover, you shouldn’t have to worry about damaging the mattress.
You want to make sure the memory foam does not get wet or it will continue to have a scent that attracts that does not repel further accidents. Dogs have such a strong sense of smell that they can detect even after many washings and will continue to be there. Overall, these dog beds are resistant to chewing and leakage.
They are comfortable without being too squishy. Their thick and sturdy and get your dog up off the floor. If your dog has been diagnosed with arthritis, these beds will help. For all-around comfort durability and resistance to damage through normal use, these beds are a solid investment.
With a balanced weight distribution, they are helpful to dogs recovering from injury. These mattresses keep them from having to put excess weight on the bad leg, for example. Most dogs within the recommended weight won’t sink to the bottom and will be fully supported.
There’s no question these are luxurious dog beds that molds to your dog’s body, dispersing their body weight providing a much more restful experience. And once your dog gets up off the bed, the mattress expands to its original shape and size time and time again.
The Role Of An Orthopedic Bed
A good quality orthopedic bed for your dog provides comfortable support. You want a bed that cushions and relieves pressure points. Options include beds with airflow channels to promote air circulation and give a cooling effect. Some beds feature strong, moisture-resistant fabric that can outlast other models.
One key part of a bed that provides both solid support and ultimate comfort is memory foam. It can be the lone part of a dog bed or stacked on top of a supportive bottom layer, just like some of the best mattresses designed for people.
A strong support design provides a solid foundation. And the right volume of memory foam on top helps to relax joints muscles and bones, easing your dog’s pain and discomfort.
Aging Changes Your Dog’s Sleep Requirements
Just like in us, your dog’s ability to naturally repair joints slows down as they age and arthritis can set in. While larger, bulkier dogs are more susceptible to arthritis pain, it happens in any breed.
Potential warning signs are seeing your dog limping around or finding it difficult to climb stairs – or even to get around in a general sense. Maybe he or she seems more inclined to rest when before she would be more active. It’s scary sometimes, when it seems like they can’t even move.
One of the best things you can do as a dog parent is to offer soft foam cushioning that disperses their weight and provides maximum support. This creates a superior cushioning effect you just can’t get from other materials – no matter how soft and plush they look to be.
Top 3 Reasons To Get An Orthopedic Dog Bed
1. Proper Support For Your Aging Dog
This is perhaps the main reason people are looking for an orthopedic bed for their dog. You have a dog with arthritis or some joint issue, and you just want them to be comfortable. If you stray away from a therapeutic dog bed, then you might see their condition worsen. If you get them one of these dog bed, you are more than likely to see an improvement or at the very least, a slower deterioration.
2. Preventative Care For Your Younger Dog
If you can start your dog on an orthopedic bed, you can reap even more rewards. You will invest in a lot fewer dog beds because they won’t fall apart or turn into nothing after a short time. You will see fewer joint issues like arthritis or at least see a significant delay, and these joint supplements can help.
Preventative care is something you hear a lot about now for people, but it’s great for dogs too! Imagine prolonging your dog’s active lifestyle and pain-free for many years. It’s just like choosing a healthy dog food choice or making your own verses buying the cheapest dog food you can find.
If you start a younger dog on one of these orthopedic beds, there won’t be the transition period of getting used to a new bed. We like this feature a lot because one of the biggest complaints we saw on any of our mentioned beds was getting their dog used to it or to like it. Start them young so they know what a good bed is and you won’t have to worry about getting them used to a more firm and supportive bed.
3. Save Money In The Long Run
Okay, this is perhaps the biggest drawback to an orthopedic bed. People don’t like to spend a lot of money on a dog bed. But we’re fine for spending a little more to save in the long run. While an orthopedic dog bed is more expensive than a polyester or cedar filled bed, it will last much longer.
Beyond it lasting longer, you will save money taking your dog to the vet’s office as often. We know from experience how expensive a leg surgery can be on a dog. Even going to get a diagnosis for arthritis can be expensive! There’s a check-up, the x-rays, the blood work. The list goes on. Vets know how to make money. We’re not against that, but it’s hard to justify spending that much on your dog sometimes.
Getting an orthopedic bed for your dog can save you money in two different areas. It’s worth shelling out a little extra from the get-go. Stay away from buying beds repeatedly! It’s not worth it and your dog will thank you for getting a good bed to start with.
After investigating dozens of different options, we’ve settled on our top 5 picks. For the best orthopedic dog bed, you can’t go wrong with the Friends Forever Lounge Sofa. If value for money is your most important consideration, we recommend the Snoozer Cozy Cave. Otherwise, they are all supreme quality at an excellent price.
Choosing the dog bed that’s right for you and your pet is a personal decision. There isn’t a wrong decision here. Some beds are better for your dog and their needs than others. We would encourage you to check out the individual reviews on any bed that piques your interest.
For the prices, these 5 are great beds for dogs with leg, hip, or mobility issues. They are more firm than soft. They give ample support. Plus, you can use them for preventative care. That seems to be a point many people miss. If you get one of these beds for your dog from the start, they are less likely to have joint issues later on, saving you money at the vet.
While buying an orthopedic dog bed might not have been your top priority or even a thought when you bought your dog, it will be now. You have seen the benefits throughout this article from cost savings to orthopedic support and more. We recommend choosing an orthopedic dog bed over a regular bed no matter what size, shape, or age your dog is. It’s a great gift to yourself and your dog.